Friday, June 22, 2007

Our Anniversary Trip To Steubenville (Part Two)

Next to the sign which marks the site of Dean Martin's birthplace stands a duplex. When I was in Steubenville in 2002 for Dean Martin Day, I met Francesca Monaco, who lived in one of these residences (the one on the right, I think).

Ms. Monaco saw me taking pictures of the site of Dean Martin's birthplace and came out her door, saying, "Are you a teacher? You walk like a teacher." We proceeded to converse for nearly a half hour. Ms. Monaco had been Dean Martin's teacher when he was in 10th grade! She was only a few years older than he; back in those days, when an aspiring teacher graduated from high school, in order to certify as a teacher, she didn't have to attend college, but only take a summer's worth of certification courses. I asked Ms. Monaco what kind of student Dean was, and she told me that he was quiet and intelligent, though he didn't apply himself in school.

Another interesting factoid I gleaned from Ms. Monaco, from a family of several girls: Dean's mother, a seamstress, made all her sisters' wedding dresses.

I have no idea if Ms. Monaco is still living, but the duplex where I met her is still standing:



Francesca Monaco informed me that the Crocettis lived only a few years in the house in which Dean was born. She directed me to another house in a better part of town, further from the railroad track. In this house, Dean's father worked as a barber on the first floor, and the family lived upstairs. I'm not sure if the following picture is exactly the correct address, but even if not, the building looked like this:




Sheer cliffs, showing lots of evidence of iron in the rust coloring, rise from the Ohio River on the West Virginia side:



The iron in the geological formations led to the establishment of the steel-mill industry in Steubenville. In the background of this picture, you can see the railroad track for the trains and the smokestack from one of the steel mills. I took this picture not far from the site of the previous photo:



In addition to being Dean Martin's hometown, Steubenville is famous as "The City of Murals." Here are two of those murals:



5 comments:

Brooke said...

I went to Stuebenville as a teenager.

Did you get to visit the Jaguar museum?

Always On Watch said...

The Jaguar museum was closed, but I don't know if the closing is permanent. My husband thought so.

Best Italian food in the world at Naples Restaurant on North Street.

elmers brother said...

reminds me of visiting my grandparents there

the last time I was in Steubenville was in October of 2003

I consider my hometown to be Carrollton which is roughly 25 miles to the northeast

Urban Infidel said...

Love the little brick row houses. They are just like the ones here in Brooklyn.

Always On Watch said...

These houses were built at the turn of the 20th Century, I think.